Reports to: Dental Manager, Orthodontist
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position is responsible for assisting and working closely with the orthodontist. Candidate performs a variety of orthodontic patient care, office, and laboratory duties and mainly work chairside as the orthodontist examines and treats patients. Orthodontic assistant needs training by the orthodontist to carry out routine procedures done on patients. Facilitates scheduling of appointments related to orthodontic services.
- Take orthodontic records: alginate impressions of full mouth, take panoramic radiographs, take lateral cephalometric radiograph, take intra-oral and extra-oral photos, measure overjet and overbite
- Fit, cement, or remove orthodontic bands
- Preposition orthodontic brackets
- Remove excess cement with a hand instrument or ultrasonic scaler for supragingival surfaces of teeth undergoing orthodontic treatment
- Remove orthodontic brackets and attachments
- Place and ligate archwires
- Deliver retainers and check fit of retainers
- Sterilize instruments
- Facilitate with inventory of supplies
- Establishes rapport with patients
- Completion of at least 12 months of work experience as a dental assistant
- Successful completion of a Board-Approved course in the Dental Practice Act
- Successful completion of a Board-Approved, 8 hour course in infection control
- Successful completion of a course in basic life support offered by an instructor approved by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association, or any other course approved by the Board as equivalent
- Successful completion of a Board-Approved orthodontic assistant course, which may commence after the completion of six months of work experience as a dental assistant
- Passage of a written examination administered by the Board after completion of all of the other requirements of this subdivision
- Successful completion of fingerprint clearances from both the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Identification. This process can take 60 days or more.
Once you have completed the online application, please download this AIHS Job Application, fill it out and mail or deliver to: 4141 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA. Thank you.